Happy Day After Thanksgiving, better known as Black Friday. I am not much of a shopper, but it is pretty interesting observing the various retail marketing shenanigans as everyone vies for shoppers, but is anyone paying any attention, other than by price, which is the shortest route to solidifying commodity, a lower price. We now live and work in an Opt In Society and folks aren’t paying any attention to your silly marketing.
Many apartment management companies also follow the lower price, or said another way “Free Rent” path to no where, which is just another way of saying “We are a Commodity” and “Nothing sets us apart”.
Break From the Path of Apartment Commodity
Do something different for goodness sakes and stop the insanity of Free Rent. It is easy, but has little to no net gain. Perhaps the time has come for you and your apartment management company to enter the world of Social Media Marketing. Engage Your Best Residents, They Already Love You
Social media marketing is a term that describes the act of using social networks, online communities, blogs, wikis or any other collaborative Internet form of media for marketing, sales, public relations and customer service. Common social media marketing tools include Twitter, blogs, LinkedIn, Facebook, Flickr and YouTube.
In the context of Internet marketing, social media refers to a collective group of web properties whose content is primarily published by users, not direct employees of the property (e.g. the vast majority of video on YouTube is published by non-YouTube employees).
Ford Finds Social Media Success with a Thirty Year Old Product
We are pretty impressed with what our own Detroit local @ScottMonty, Ford Motor Company Social Media Guru has pulled off with the Fiesta Movement. Scott reports on the progress over on his blog The Social Media Marketing Blog:
This IS Customer Engagement
The program is just winding to a close, but the output has been impressive.
- Of the 700 or so videos that the agents have produced, we've seen 4.8 million views on YouTube.
- Their Flickr photos have been viewed more than 670,000 times
- There have been over 3.4 million impressions of Fiesta Movement on Twitter.
- Over 50,000 hand-raisers have indicated that they want more information about the vehicle as it goes on sale
- 97% of those 50,000 do not own Ford vehicles.
- There is a 40+% level of awareness of the Fiesta - for a vehicle that's not even available in this country yet, which is the equivalent of the awareness of some of our vehicles that have been in market for 2-3 years.
- All with $0 in traditional advertising.