I recently had the pleasure of participating on a social media panel at the Florida Apartment Association Education Conference along with Melanie Stiles, National Director of Training and Marketing at Milestone Management, L.P. Melanie recently led the organization through it's initial launch into a Facebook presence, and had some great tips on getting started; they're simple, meaningful, and pretty universal -- and definitely worth sharing:
- 93% of social media users believe a company should have a presence in social media --Cone, Business Social Media Study, Sept 2008
- Be realistic in your approach; you can't be everything to everyone
- Facebook is a conversation, not a campaign
- Define your purpose (and build a plan around it)
- Show personality! (Be yourself)
- Assign several trusted Administrators
- Post and upload interesting content (quality vs. quantity)
- Publish and Promote (and Promote, and Promote, and Promote)
- Monitor, Observe and Interact
- Have a social media policy in place
- Don't block or ignore fan comments
Like I said -- simple, meaningful, universal -- powerful!
So go get started.