Moving is a daunting task, and when you’re moving across the country, you definitely have to be organized if you want a smooth and enjoyable transition. We got you covered with the following must-have checklist for moving across the country:
6 – 8 Weeks Before Moving Across the Country Checklist
- Purchase a notebook to help you stay organized.
- Create a detailed inventory list, and decide now what items you want to keep, sell, donate or throw away.
- Research local moving companies online.
- Call moving companies for a free estimate.
- Confirm or update your insurance to ensure coverage for your vehicle and valuable items.
- Obtain important medical records.
- Sell unwanted items.
- Donate or throw away items you did not sell.
4 – 6 Weeks Before Moving Across the Country Checklist
- Change your address with your local post office.
- Decide on your moving company, and set the exact date for your move.
- Cancel utility services, and schedule disconnection no earlier than the day AFTER your move.
- Collect packing materials.
- Gather important documents and valuable items, and pack in labeled box.
2 – 3 Weeks Before Moving Across the Country Checklist
- Return borrowed items, like a casserole dishes, movie or video games.
- Update your inventory list, and send it to the moving company.
- Cancel or transfer all subscriptions, such as magazines, to your new home.
- Begin packing, and label the contents and what room they belong to on the top and at least two sides of each box.
- If you have children, make plans for someone to watch them on moving day.
1 Week Before Moving Across the Country Checklist
- Notify institutions of your change in address, like credit card companies and utility companies (for your final bill).
- Re-confirm your moving date with the movers.
- Close bank accounts and empty safety deposit boxes.
- Finish the last of your packing, and don’t forget to pack a kit for when you’re in transit:
- Toilet paper
- Bottled water
- Clean clothes
- Flashlight and batteries
- First-aid kit and medication
- Separate boxes into piles to take with you and piles that will go with the movers.
2 – 3 Days Before Moving Across the Country Checklist
- Make sure you have all important documents in a safe and accessible place.
- To avoid additional charges from moving company, disassemble furniture.
- Disconnect and label non-essential electronics.
- Double-check inventory, specify special, fragile items and items staying with movers.
- Clean as areas of your home become vacant.
- Pay moving company.
Are you currently moving across the country? We want to hear your story! Head over to our Facebook page and leave us a comment under this post.