Preparing to move can be a taxing time for anyone, but if you start the process of moving long before your actual move, the transition can be quite easy. Trying to do everything on moving day is the worst thing you can do, even if you’ve hired professional movers to do the heavy lifting. Use these tips to ensure your move to your new apartment is as smooth as possible.
- If you’re providing your own appliances, like a refrigerator, washer and dryer, make sure they’re in good shape. No use in lugging around large appliances if they’re not in working order. Clean out your fridge and freezer no later than the day before moving day. You’ll want it completely defrosted and dry before it’s transported. Consider utilizing an ice chest to keep drinks and snacks cool while you’re in transition.
- Ensure the moving boxes used are sturdy and sealed well if you’re doing your own packing. Label each box with its contents clearly, as well as the room of the apartment where the things inside belong.
- Leave your essentials and toiletries, like toilet paper, paper towels, soap, toothpaste and toothbrushes, to pack in a final box the day of moving. This should be the box you unpack last once you arrive at your new apartment.
- There will be items you’ll want to keep close to you, so they don’t get lost in translation in the back of a truck or moving van. Consider stashing these things in your closet or cabinet while you’re preparing to move to keep them from accidentally getting packed. This includes school and medical records, insurance documents and clothing that you will need in the days leading up to and after moving into your apartment.
- Make arrangements for childcare on moving day if you have small children, so they’re out of the way and safe.
- Before you and the movers leave your current home, inspect the premises to ensure nothing’s left behind. You may also want to do a final walk-through with your landlord or property manager prior to turning in your keys.
Preparing to move is the first step in starting over in a new apartment. You’re bound to run into some hiccups along the way, but hopefully, these tips can help the moving process. Once moving day comes around, your survival instincts will kick in, so don’t worry – you’ll get it done!